Destination 2040 was the former regional transportation plan (predecessor to Connect 2045) for the Greater Portland Maine region, and is the responsibility of the Portland Area Comprehensive Transportation System (PACTS), the congressionally designated metropolitan planning organization for our region. The 2016 plan update provides a vision for preserving and transforming our transportation systems through the year 2040.
Reaffirmed by the PACTS Policy Board on March 30, 2021, ensuring that the plan will remain relevant and valid until December 2022 when the new plan is approved. See Destination 2040 Addendum for interim updates to the plan. The proposed reaffirmation was communicated to federal partners (letter here) prior to approval from the Policy Board.
Key Reasons for a Regional Long Range Transportation Plan
- Transportation investments need a regional focus and must be made with an eye to long-term needs and preservation.
- Travel growth over the next 25 years could potentially result in more safety and congestion problems without modal balance.
- The region’s population is growing and simultaneously aging. Attracting younger skilled workers requires providing transportation choices.
- Transportation funding levels will most likely continue to be insufficient to just preserve the system we have today, and are projected to fall increasingly short as demand grows.
- Land use and transportation decisions are closely related and affect demand and the availability of transportation choices. Decisions must be made together.
Destination 2040 Plan
- D2040 0 Table of Contents (PDF)
- D2040 Chapter 1 Executive Summary (PDF)
- D2040 Chapter 2 Plan Development Context (PDF)
- D2040 Chapter 3 Present Conditions Trends and Desired Future (PDF)
- D2040 Chapter 4 Goals Objectives Strategies (PDF)
- D2040 Chapter 5 Desired Trends Performance Measures Targets (PDF)
- D2040 Chapter 6 Financial Plan (PDF)
- D2040 Chapter 7 Plan Implementation and Recommendations (PDF)
- D2040 Appendix A 2016 Forums 04 16 (PDF)
- D2040 Appendix B Map 1 Project Area (PDF)
- D2040 Appendix B Map 2 MEDOT Crests (PDF)
- D2040 Appendix B Map 3 Highway Corridors (PDF)
- D2040 Appendix B Map 4 Project Corridors and Centers By Type (PDF)
- D2040 Appendix B Map 5 Project Corridors and Centers (PDF)
- D2040 Appendix B Map 6 Multi-modal Infrastructure (PDF)
- D2040 Appendix B Map 7 PACTS Sub Regions Map (PDF)
- D2040 Appendix B Map 8 Priority Corridors Map (PDF)
- D2040 Appendix C Summary of Forums Feb 2014 (PDF)
- D2040 Appendix E 2014 PACTS LRTP Values and Prioroties Survey Report (PDF)
- D2040 Appendix F 2013 D. T. Workshop Report (PDF)
- D2040 Appendix G SSM Multimodal Transportation Plan (PDF)