The Mill District in Biddeford and the area of Saco Island in Saco has been selected as a location for a Transit-Oriented Development Concept Plan as part of PACTS’ 2020-2021 work plan. The Study Area includes Saco Island and the Mill District of Biddeford, bounded by Water and Front Streets in Saco, and Main Street in Biddeford, along with Lincoln Street and Elm Street (Route 1) in Biddeford – including Springs Island. GPCOG is currently working with transit stakeholders, municipal staff, community stakeholder groups, and the general public to create a vision that:
• Increases “location efficiency” so people can walk, bike and take public transit
• Boost public transit ridership and reduce traffic
• Provide a rich mix of housing, shopping and transportation choices
• Generate revenue for the public and private sectors
• Provide value for new and existing residents
• Create a sense of place
The final plan will include a narrative documenting the study process, a description of various alternative designs, and visual renderings of conceptual designs. The project will highlight the potential to enhance transit ridership, encourage mixed-use development, and foster the growth of bike/ped connectivity within the study area. A draft plan is tentatively scheduled for review in December 2020, with a final plan scheduled for completion in January 2021.