Cape announces suspension of programs, meetings to help prevent COVID-19 spread
The town has announced suspension of all Thomas Memorial Library and Community Services programming to help prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus.
In addition, non-essential government meetings will be suspended for the next 30 days. These include meetings of the Recycling Committee, School Building Committee, Planning Board, Fort Williams Park Committee, Energy Committee, Thomas Memorial Library Committee and Board of Zoning Appeals.
"This action is being taken with an abundance of caution and in the desire to help protect the health of the community," said Town Manager Matthew Sturgis, and follow actions taken in Portland, Cumberland, Falmouth, Freeport, Yarmouth and other surrounding communities.
The Fitness Center will close beginning March 14, 2020 and remain closed until the end of March. The Richards Pool, however, will remain open as chlorine and chemicals in the pool will offset viruses. Community Services Cape Care and After Care will also remain open, but will follow the School Department if school is suspended.
Town Council budget meetings March 16 and 19 will be held as scheduled in the Town Hall chamber. "We will take steps within the Council Chamber to provide greater spacing between the tables and chairs, as well as spacing audience chairs by removing two thirds of them," said Sturgis in an email to members of the Town Council.
Residents are encouraged to watch the meetings live and on-demand on CETV.
Superintendent Donna Wolfrom is consulting with the School Board chair to determine whether School Board meetings will proceed, Sturgis said.
These measures will be re-evaluated as the COVID-19 virus and risks to public health continue to evolve.
Summary of announced actions (To be re-evaluated):
- Thomas Memorial Library programming - Suspended until the end of March
- Community Services programming - Suspended until the end of March
- Fitness Center - Closed March 14 until the end of March
- Meetings of the Recycling Committee, School Building Committee, Planning Board, Fort Williams Park Committee, Energy Committee, Thomas Memorial Library Committee and Board of Zoning Appeals - Suspended until April 13
- Richards Pool - Open
- Town Council meetings and budget workshops - Will be held as scheduled
- Cape Care, After Care - Open