The Maine Department of Environmental Protection is extending the deadline for submissions for grant proposals for waste diversion projects from April 16 to 4 p.m. May 19.
The Maine Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) is soliciting grant proposals to support the development, implementation or improvement of programs, initiatives or activities designed to increase the diversion of solid waste from disposal.
All interested municipalities, regional associations, counties and Maine businesses are encouraged to apply. The DEP will award multiple grants of up to $40,000 ($125,000 total), and prefers proposals that:
- take advantage of regional economies of scale,
- Specify reuse and repair infrastructure and program development
- increase organics management and recycling infrastructure in underserved areas of the state,
- promote waste reduction through reuse, repair and sharing economy initiatives,
- address a statewide need, and/or
- expand the types of materials managed through composting and recycling.